Tuesday, June 28

Picked a different 'A' food...

So I had some set-backs on doing the artichokes... But in a nutshell I was out of town and then I was really lazy, so they went bad in my fridge :(

But I did finally made something with an 'A'  food!    Arugula!
We've never been a real leafy-vegetable type of family, so I've been looking for something I can cook into meals other than spinach (which conveniently I do love, but inconveniently, does not start with an 'A'.)

Enter Arugula! Love, love, LOVE the smell of this leafy green. I think it has sort of a peppery-butter odor about it, but in a good way!



I've done the following recipe 'hobo-dinner' style while camping many times before with just the basics, but since I was at home last night I jazzed it up a little and of course, incorporated the arugula.

Grilled Chicky-Tater Packets

4          Boneless-skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1" to 1-1/2" chunks
4          Medium potatoes (any kind, I used russets), cut into pieces no wider than 1/2"
1          Large onion (red or white, I used white) *Note* If you love onions add more, the flavor of them really  stands out in the finished product!
4-5      Green onions, white part chopped, green part sliced into 1-2" thin strips
1-2      Bunches of arugula, (enough to get about 1-1/2 cups chopped)

1/2 cup Olive oil
1/4 cup Cider vinegar (rice wine vinegar works ok, too)
2           minced garlic cloves
1/2 tsp  dried thyme leaves
1/2 tsp  dried basil leaves
1/2 tsp  Ground pepper
1/2 tsp  Salt  (This is being conservative, I used more)

Mix up the second batch of ingredients and let sit in fridge for at least 30 minutes so they combine. Give it a little taste after about 15-20 minutes and adjust salt and pepper to your liking.
Prep the first batch of ingredients while the liquid is in the fridge and combine them in a fairly large bowl. (FYI- If you have a toddler hanging on your leg 24/7 like I do, this step will take you a little while giving the liquid plenty of time to infuse :)
Once you're happy with the flavor of the liquid, pour it over the chicken mixture.

Pre-heat your grill to a medium-high heat. I used our gas grill, but if you're good at gauging temperature over charcoal, more power to ya'.

Set out six - 12" x 18" sheets of aluminum foil and evenly divide the mixture among the sheets. Fold the foil up and around everything to make packets. Grill the packets over medium-high heat (turning once or twice) for at least 20 minutes, or until internal chicken temperature is at least 170 Degrees F.

All done! We ate them right out of the foil packets outside on the porch with a couple bottles of beer :)

Pssssst... My toddler liked these too! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment